The Official Unofficial Smack Talk guide!

A place to discuss RID's war plans.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Apium
Colonel
The Official Unofficial Smack Talk guide!

Post by Apium » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Copied from the Starsider forums, be sure to request a sticky!

It happens to just about everyone. You're out minding your own business, and BAM - you get an insulting /tell from some tard. Now, the person who sent the /tell hasn't got a clue. That isn't proper smack talk ettiquite. To do it professionally, there are some basic rules and caveats that a few ppl seem to understand, but by and far the majority of 13.6 yr olds here just don't seem to get it. They spout off at the mouth, and accuse you of smack talking them by posting screenshots and such for others to see. So here's the basic rules to follow so you don't make an a$$ of yourself.

1. Never initiate the smack talk. This is by and far #1. However there ARE some exceptions to the rule:
a. You may initiate smack talk in the form of a tell by pointing out to an individual their cowerdace. For example, in PvP, anyone who RUNS AWAY without actually engaging and attempting to fight, even a larger group, is a plain coward and deserves to have it pointed out to them that they're a complete lamer for running away without even trying.
b. Anyone guilty of (a) above, deserves to be reminded of that fact any and every time you see them.

2. Stay on topic. When your smack-talked, don't go changing the subject to other issues, unless you are reminding them of 1-a, or 1-b above.

3. Sarcasm works best. Don't argue a point, but instead point out to your smack talker their inadequecies in the form of sarcasm.

4. Don't make threats (unless you're AXIS and can actually carry them out). Threats are idle words that you can't typically back up. It only serves to make you look like an idiot for saying them in the 1st place.

5. Know when to stop responding. There's a point where your smack-talker will just keep going over and over. Let them. They're spending time and energy trying to win a war of words they can't win and don't yet realize it. The only reason they continue is because they think they need to make another point to prove themselves, which indicates they have a low self-esteem and don't think they've sufficiently made their point.

6. Don't retaliate hastily. If your smack-talker has pissed you off, don't go dash out to confront them. Take your time to assess the situation and plan accordingly to nail them. At these times, words seldom do the trick, so it's going to be an in-game action. Don't jump the gun, do it right.

7. Don't ignore. Never put someone on ignore. You'll be missing valuable text that you can use later to show your smack talker is a complete moron. They usually sink their own ship, so have everything you can.

Some simple guidelines for better management of smack talk. Use them and maybe others won't think of you as some pre-pubecent kid with an axe to grind.
Last edited by Apium on Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
swtor: Aeroxis

Apium Auvair- Master Medic
Kalice- Master Architect
Aurelie Auvair- Jedi Master
Victoire Auvair- Master Armorsmith

Takura

Post by Takura » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:25 am

If you need a guide, you should be killed..

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:52 am

Takura wrote:If you need a guide, you should be killed..

then we need to kill 95% of starsider because they don't know how to smack talk. The guide is 100% on target. People really do need to follow those rules, so we can all have enjoyable smack talking sessions.

Kalice- Master Architect

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:54 am

Leviathen's guide:

/ignore <insert character name>

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:07 am

Leviathen wrote:Leviathen's guide:

I hate /ignore because you don't know what the person's saying to you. If hes cussing me out I want to know.

Kalice- Master Architect

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am

Apium wrote:
Leviathen wrote:Leviathen's guide:

I hate /ignore because you don't know what the person's saying to you. If hes cussing me out I want to know.

Who cares??? It's just a game and it's just soem teen jackass trying to feel important. Gotta admit, Lev's guide is best.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:44 pm

Why Thank you Kurke :D

And if you want to know what they are saying, then you don't ignore them.

What would someone come up to you seeing two people smack talk? Great, more little kiddies running around.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Leviathen wrote:Why Thank you Kurke :D

And if you want to know what they are saying, then you don't ignore them.

What would someone come up to you seeing two people smack talk? Great, more little kiddies running around.

all smack talking occurs in /tells

and and some people enjoy a good argument, I for one love getting in fights. I try to keep it in TC though.

Kalice- Master Architect

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:44 pm

I enjoy a good argument wtih someone who has more than half a brain, most of what I think you are referring to would be rather frustrating and a very unproductive use of my time.

Apium
Colonel

Post by Apium » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:16 pm

Leviathen wrote:I enjoy a good argument wtih someone who has more than half a brain, most of what I think you are referring to would be rather frustrating and a very unproductive use of my time.

the whole game is unproductive, based on the average man's goal in life

Kalice- Master Architect

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:18 pm

yeah I think I'm gonna go with Auvair on this one...

Dakaraim

Post by Dakaraim » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:10 am

for the record this is a very good guide and pissing off people is funner than some of you guys realize, Manu just about had a heart attack tonight

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Re: The Official Unofficial Smack Talk guide!

Post by Waucod Meesman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:15 am

Apium wrote:13.6 yr olds

Wow I think thats pretty accurate lol

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:20 am

I dont put anyone on ignore. But I typically don't respond and watch themselves complaining about having me not respond :lol:

Jaysont
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Jaysont » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:29 pm

LexxYovel wrote:I dont put anyone on ignore. But I typically don't respond and watch themselves complaining about having me not respond :lol:

no wonder you never reply to me and i go ape-shit lol jk.