Ventrilo

A place for members to share useful information with one another.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Aerick-Fyonna
Ventrilo

Post by Aerick-Fyonna » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:16 pm

You can download the client here. Vent is a voice chat program. It requires a mic to talk, but anybody can just listen in. Great for instances and space when instructions need to be given quickly. We currently have a small server set up, max ten people. Since D'avid is gone for an undetermined time, I set up a second, 75 max capacity. You are free to use it, and I request that all pilots or crew of a POB use mine to freee up the original for use by others.

My Ventrilo server info:
IP - ventrilo4.dfw.powervs.com
Port - 5040
Password - same as original vent.

Also, there is a way to run two instances of Vent at the same time.
Ihip wrote:Tralek from the 13th forums said the following:

"Hey guys, I discovered today that there is a way to run multiple instances of ventrilo on your computer at the same time. This will allow you to connect to multiple vent servers simultaneously if you'd like. This will be especially useful for events like the one tonight.

Step 1: Locate the shortcut you use to launch Ventrilo.
Step 2: Right-Click on it and go to "Properties"
Step 3: Go to the Shortcut Tab
Step 4: In the line labeled "Target:", change the value to "C:\Program Files\Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe" -m
(Change the "C:" portion to whatever drive letter you have ventrilo installed on if necessary)
Step 5: Launch Ventrilo. Select the server you would like to connect to and then connect. If you'd like to connect to another server, launch ventrilo again and another instance will appear. In the second instance, select the server you would like to connect to and then connect. Be sure to change your "Push to Talk" key binding in the second instance to something other than what you are using in the first instance."

This is another option to be considered.

If/when D'avid returns and upgrades his server capacity, I will cease to operate mine. He paid for a year in advance, so I stayed with monthly.

Lamid

Post by Lamid » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:58 pm

I'll have to find out from some of the other folks whom I've been in Vent with back in WoW, but there is also a way to join multiple channels within the same server (i.e. officers in both the main channel as well as an officer channel, with different PTT keys for each channel).

Once I have that info, I'll post it here.

Unless someone beats me to it...

... or to a pulp.

I also have some ideas, once this is in place... Set up vent with multiple channels...

> Flightdeck - Where crewdogs and pilots chill when there's no action topside...
> Tactical - Where squad leaders and POB/Gunship Pilots and Ops get tactical information to disseminate among their crew / squad as needed. This is also where the Fleet Commander (usually the person(s) responsible for the event can deal directly with the folks they need to, rather than to Joe-Gunner00321 who thinks the pilot's a nub and needs to fly this way instead of that...
>Gunship Lollipop - Channel specificly for use amongst crew of this gunship for internal comms (ICS chatter)
>Gunship Diddlybopper - Gunship #2 (or three, or five... however many we're fielding) see Lollipop
>Deci-Lucy I'm Home - See above, for Decimator (or YT) crews. Naturally as we establish who our designated drivers are and what their ships are named, the ship name will be the channel name.
>Bomber
>Interceptor
>Support - These three channels are for their respective fighter squads. Bomber and Interceptor are pretty set, as their job is to stick together and watch eachothers' backs... for the Support channel, this is where the fighters flying screen for the gunships and decimators (or even bomber squads) are split as needed, the squadron's lead would use tactical knowledge (gained from the Tactical channel... whodathunkit?) to determine where and how many of these defenders will be needed, and tell specifically which ones who to guard.

I quickly discovered the need for a set-up like this during last weekend's event... the chatter over vent for the first 20 minutes or so once we got out there would've fit nicely into the "Gunship Lollipop" channel, as they were hashing out which programs were loaded, why, how, and pi. Was difficult to determine what was going on through all that.

A set up like this (very similar to a real-world Tac-Net as I understand its use, Fyonna can correct me as I was merely a walkie-talkie fixer, not a user) most likely will take some getting used to, might meet some griping ("aww, you mean just because i'm not flying i don't get to hear what's going on?" -- No, this just means that your Pilot had better filter the information and pass on to you that which you need to do your job... Jabronie), and won't likely see solid full-scale use until we're actually running our own events... Still, we ARE the R.I.D. branch of the Imperial Navy, isn't it time we take the role to heart? ;)

Aerick-Fyonna

Post by Aerick-Fyonna » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:47 pm

In the thread I stole what I quoted were the instructions you were talking about. I will dig them out after I get to work and add them into my post.