The Final Sunset: An Official Notice on our Future

A place for forum users to meet and greet the members of RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
The Final Sunset: An Official Notice on our Future

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 am

Greetings everyone,

On June 24th, Sony Online Entertainment announced that they would be terminating online support for Star Wars Galaxies on December 15th, 2011. For more information, click the following link: http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... id=1220299

People have asked about RID's future, both in the final months of SWG, and in the dawn of the upcoming SWTOR. Questions have been asked regarding the future of these forums.

Well first, RID will continue until the very end, as will our home of Fort Oasis. How we will use that time remains to be seen, but the most important thing is to have fun. We will continue to show Starsider just what a great guild RID is. I'm really quite happy with the way RID has grown. I don't regret any bit of it, and cannot imagine RID being any different. Sure, we never have been the greatest PvP'ers or PvE'ers, but what makes us unique is our rich as history as a guild, and the people who have been a part of that history. We've had the privilage of having many memorable, kind, helpful members. Together, we've forged some great experiences and memories, which will live on in screenshots, and written posts here on these forums. That's what's most important -- making this game as fun as it can be for all our members.

It's safe to say that at least 800 people have had the opportunity to be in RID at least some point in their life. Though most have gone long ago, I want to thank those who are members today, or who have remained in touch with us here on these forums. Your loyalty and dedication to this guild will not be forgotten, and it was definitely a great opportunity to have been a leader of such a great guild.

RID will continue its final months in SWG doing what we do best -- having fun. We won't let this sudden announcment stop us from attending weekly events, or fighting for the Empire. However, we will also need to prepare our good byes. November 23rd will be our 8th and final anniversary. It will be held in Fort Oasis, and it will give us a great chance to say our formal farewells three weeks before the game shuts down for good. It would be great to see all members, past, present (and perhaps still even future), attend that anniversary, in addition to all the friends of RID that have helped shape us on Starsider.

We will undoubtedly put together at least one tribute video for RID and the Starsider community, whilst writing the final chapters of RID's long history. During the final minutes of this game's life, we will know that we still stand strong.

As for a future in SWTOR, I'm still unsure. Now that SWG will be gone for good, I'm almost certain I will play it. However, I will not be able to on the same capacity as I did with SWG. I will be a casual player at most, so I'm unsure if this makes me fit to lead a new RID guild there.

It is uncertain if RID would even serve the Republic or Sith in the new game. Decisions on if RID will be formed, who will lead it, and which faction it will serve are all questions we will contemplate during the ensueing months.

The fate of these forums is also to be determined. It's likely I will lock most of the sections, and allow posting in only the General Any Topic section and public RID Discussion section in order to keep in touch. If RID should form in SWTOR, we'd likely establish new forums. However, I'm investigating whether or not I can back up the threads on these forums. There's lots of memories here as well.

But there's not much else to say really. If anyone has any questions or just wants to offer their 2 cents here, go right ahead :)

Good luck... Long Live the Empire, and its Regal Imperial Defenders!

Lexx Yovel

ScorchedArrow

Re: The Final Sunset: An Official Notice on our Future

Post by ScorchedArrow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 am

I think we should keep the forum to stay in touch ect.
but, i can tell you right now i am going to play SWTOR a few months at least.
now, i dont understand why they are shutting it down, maybe they think its outdated, i have no idea
maybe they where running out of money, thats what i think would be likely.

one final thing, you guys where great for the short time i got to play with and join you
thanks

-ScorchedArrow, Micalis Rogstad

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 am

Well Lucasart's contract with SOE expires in 2012. It's possible they raised the price of the contract, or SOE simply didn't want to pay it -- believing (whether they're right or wrong), that SWTOR would decrease SWG's population drastically.

It's a shame they couldn't make it free-to-play or something at least. Another theory is that Lucasarts may have wanted SOE to cancel it, so as not to draw potential subscribers away from SWTOR.

Who knows. Shame it has to happen this way though.

ScorchedArrow

Post by ScorchedArrow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:15 pm

well, i didnt read when i posted, so i jut threw a guess out there,
and even though SWG is lost we still will have TOR, altough it wont be as great

(note: i typed with my ipod touch and didnt notice any auto correction, if there is, sorry)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Yeah, it'll be something at least.

Despite it not having the sand-box features of SWG, and being based in a separate timeline, it could be quite fun.

It certainly looks well made, and seems as though it won't have as many bugs. The *one* thing I really wish they'd improve though is the space system. Space-on-rails was something you'd expect to see in a 1990's video game, but not a 21st century MMO, lol.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:59 am

I would love it if the forums stayed alive here. As for SWG, my biggest regret is we won't have the team building events like heroics, pvp battle fields/random/restuss areas, base busts and so much more that brought entire communities and guilds togather for fun. I will be playing SWTOR for a little while, and depending on play I may or may not keep playing.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:20 am

I am saddened they are shutting down the game. When I heard the news, all I could think about was RID. I'm reactivating my account and I'm going to do all the content I missed before the game ends.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:22 am

Oops, that last post was me.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:26 am

i didnt read your post lexx cuz it was to much writing but i shall defo hope to see all yu over on tor cuz even if the space is lame all the ground content should be pretty epic.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am

Haha, too long/didn't read. Yeah I have a habit of doing that, but mostly what I wrote was sentimental junk and nothing important.

But yes, I've decided "what the heck?" May as well create RID in SWTOR too.

I figured we'll just make it Sith Empire, and I'll be an Imperial Agent.

Republic looked cool too though. I liked the look of the Republic Troopers, and the fact that they can go to Corouscant. But it seems the Sith can wear trooper armor too, so I figure in the grand scheme of things, not being able to go to Corouscant is a minor sacrifice.

And yeah, I still think their space system is well... a cop-out, but maybe they'll listen the outcry and create a better system.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Well, you can always go to Korban, unlike them. Personally I don't like the limits of the trooper or the smuggler. On the other hand BH's and the force sensitive(how ever you spell that) have the most range IMO from what I can see in the trailers, and in the classes. And by that I mean both Jedi Consular, and both Sith Classes, the Jedi Knight is a limited but not as bad as the trooper. Go to the media tab and choose trailers and you will see what I mean.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:56 am

Preorders just went up for SWTOR. They've already sold out Collector's Editions in EA's online store, Origin. If anyone is interested in that, I suggest you try Amazon. They've said it's going to be limited, so you have to get it while it's hot.

Here's the preorder page:

http://www.swtor.com/preorder

I don't mind space on rails... I have fond memories of StarFox. However, that sort of kills any fun multiplayer activities in space that you can enjoy in SWG.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 am

Yeah, saw the preorder!

But $175 (Or is it $150?)?! Yikes! Maybe they'll lower the price, but I would like the collectors edition. I always regretted never getting the SWG collectors addition.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:11 pm

It comes with A LOT of stuff. It's pricey for sure. Actually that's exactly the reason why I got it. I always regretted not getting the SWG:CE. It's actually $150 (sans tax & shipping).

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 pm

How long does the offer last? I will have to consider it.