Old Problem Re-emerging

A place for the Regal Executive Council to share and vote on confidential issues.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Arev
Colonel
Old Problem Re-emerging

Post by Arev » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 pm

I remember talking to Lexx about this in ages past and I am starting to see this problem coming back.

Because RID is mixed, it is possible to join RID and decide to RP later, drafting whatever concept the new members seems fit. This creates a massive headache for RID RPers, because they have no "policing" abilities. In other words, someone joins and decides, he wants to do a little roleplaying. He didn't apply on our RP forums, he applies here. Any character concepts are not on record. There is nothing to scrutinize. Until he shows up an event, or even worse, he starts to RP in another city. Our RPers know nothing about him, his capabilities, skills, etc. Chances are, if he is a casual RPer, or new to RP, he will be rough around the edges. Which, again, creates issues for RID RPers, and is an embarrassment to the PA.

This thread comes in the aftermath of yesterday's event with Sander violating some basic RP etiquette. Earlier today, I sat down with him and we went over his concept (which he since updated) and basic RP procedures.

I am concerned because RID cannot afford to have 'loose cannons' running around. We had a few in the past, and whether innocent intentions or not, RPers can be quick to judge and RPers gossip. Like that idiot in Laryssa's thread who ignorantly bashed all of RID for a poor, twisted story that occurred, there are dozens more like him. So, members like Sander are a threat to RID RP. Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy, and he's willing to learn, but unless something is done, there will be issues, and have been in the past, concerning this issue.

We had a member that got into a scuffle with Rhiana and wanted to create this uber l33t squadron/Stormtrooper thing, which everyone including myself, found ridiculous and unnecessary. Because of RID's make-up, he essentially attempted to create this behind RID's back, and there was nothing we could do to stop it. Since he could simply claim he only wanted to be in RID as an OOC'er. He was removed for other reasons before this could take off.

So, we need a hard policy on roleplay in RID; conform or leave. It sounds brutally harsh, but speaking from experience, and Jathox would agree, that we need members to understand that they can choose from Big Mac, Quarter Pounder or Chicken Nuggets; Whoppers are not on the menu. If they agree to roleplay, at all, while in RID, they must agree to certain conditions and be familiar with basic RP etiquette. Our OOC Application here at RidBoard.com should have our RP forum link on it, at least twice.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Re: Old Problem Re-emerging

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:09 pm

I remember the Jo'taur debacle and how he wanted his Shadow Trooper idea implemented.

I think there's really a simple solution to this. If a RP'er wishes to join RID because of the RP, he or she submits the application on the RP forums and is accepted on the basis of whether or not the RP idea is suitable.

If an OOC'er wishes to join RID for OOC activities, they will be accepted on certain basis -- at the minimal, they must have a good personality, willing to accept that RID focuses much of its aspects on RP -- and in a sense, not slap it in the face by having perhaps a ridiculous name, or wantonly disrupting events.

However, if that said OOC'er wishes to get involved in RP some time down the road, it must be made clear that an additional application should be posted on the RP forums before they get involved in RP activities. This can be made clear from now on during the in-game interviews, so they know what they are getting into.

To eliminate further problems, if an OOC'er expresses even a small interest in roleplaying beforehand, perhaps they should be encouraged to at least flesh out a general character concept and submit it.

In any case, I will emphasize the existence of a roleplay application in the OOC application even more, and make it clear that any involvement in RID RP must require an RP application submission on SSG Empire.

Does that sort of make sense, and seem to be a viable solution to prevent any past issues from repeating itself?

The key of the issue is to communicate these things to all recruits beforehand, whether they are RP'ers or not, so they don't feel like we're blindsiding them in the future with arbitrary, unwritten rules.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:22 pm

I added a sort of disclaimer in the application here. Let me know if you think it should be rephrased a little bit.

I'll then make additional mention of it in the sitckied announcement thread, and elsewhere.

I understand 'Grawn' may be another member who's character concept needs to be worked out. I'm asking him to register on SSG Empire so he can post an application there.

I probably shouldn't have brought him back to RID without having him post an application there first. I didn't think he'd be getting involved in RP. I do remember the talk we had about this, and the last thing I want to do is to have those who don't understand the rules hurt those who do -- yes, even if they do have best intentions.

For example, I see 'Grawn' wants to do a sort of Inquisitor set-up. And I know set-ups like these only cause you problems, because it contradicts the type of roleplay and image that RID wants to portray. Fortunately, I think 'Grawn' is a reasonable person, and am sure like with 'Sander, he will be willing to sort out a proper character. So whatever harm has been done can be stopped here on forth.

If he's unreasonable then that's something we can talk about more later.

From this point on though, we'll make sure all potential recruits are told of what to expect in RP, even if they do not wish to get greatly involved.

The fact is that's the best we can do unless we wish to completely redo RID's model and forbid and remove OOC'ers altogether. That's essentially what drove Farik and his crew to leave and join Six-T, because as a "mixxed-bag" so to speak we carried too much baggage -- as he put it.

But in my opinion, to do something that drastic would more easily warrant creating a new guild altogether (though I'm not saying we should do that).

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm not advocating anything that radical either. We do need to make it very clear about what we expect from members who wish to roleplay with us at all. This is why we need a strict "No RP" policy for non-RPer RID members, because they're liabilities--not bad guys, just need to be worked on, and they need to understand that they're "noobs" at the moment.

I'll post more on this after I get back from work. But, yes, Grawn did sound familiar. Also, can you confirm that Jathox has access to this forum? I PM'd him twice about posting here, but he hasn't responded.

Arev
Colonel

Post by Arev » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Oh, and the link on the OOC Application for the RP application doesn't work. ;)

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:51 pm

I'll double check Jathox's access... and woops, seems it tried directing to the old, now-deleted application.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Jathox should have access here. His username is activated and I've granted him access to all sections on these boards.

Jathox

Post by Jathox » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:18 pm

It's a sticky situation. I had to have a long, long discussion with 'Sander earlier. This whole ex-clone trooper/bionic suit thing is way out in left field. I think he's starting to understand though. I did suggested dropping the clone and suit would make it easier to RP Sander since he is a newer RPer. I told him starting simple is the best route.

I made it clear on four separate occasions that Sander the character carries NO Imperial authority implied or otherwise. He was all set to go after this actor that killed the Prace character. I debriefed him on what it means to talk with players, and player-city OOC leaders when planning something drastic.

I told him that there is no place for his character (with its current background) in the Imperial military. Even in Imperial Intel which we briefly went over. He says Sander works for the Empire on occasion. We hashed that to mean he'd be either a BHer or Merc. Both of which would give him authorization to operate in that capacity, but no Imperial authority express or implied.

He has surmised that Sander must be of value to still be alive since he's essentially caused a lot of trouble. Which is true. He's set on having a "powerful connection" to get out of trouble. I warned him not to play that card too often--it pisses people off if you turn up at the same area time and again, hurt people and property and then can essentially "walk" each time.

I told him that even though he wants an "unstable" character not to push it. I said that we give leeway to newer RPers, but that eventually if he pushes too hard, the Imperials at Kappa will act like Imperials and enforce Imperial law.

I mentioned power emoting and why he has to stop doing that. (IE grabbing someone with the outcome in the same emote) You can't just grab someone. You have to grab in their direction and let them emote the reaction.

He asked if other areas gave leeway and seemed dismayed about the rules in other places. I told him that they might but that it's THEIR area that they've worked hard to build. And that there are other garrisons there. Just like in RL, we can't waltz into a place and submit everyone to our will. It's out of our chain.

I told him that Jathox is letting the tatooine authorities handle Prace's investigation. He seems to have mentioned Zaken Hub. That's where the greyscale character operates. I told him that Kappa is on Kash, but all of Talus is Talus (someone told him the opposite. /facepalm).

Anyway, I think anyone can join RID OOCly. We need a rules amendment that says, specifically, if you choose to join as a non-RPer, you will STAY a non-RPing member until you consult with the council.

I think the only other option is to create a second, RP only guild that is still answerable to the Council (could be lead by Lexx's alt OOCly). But that is drastic and we need to try and make this work first. But if it doesn't I daresay it might be an alternative.

EDIT: I am dead set on there being NO overt FS individuals. Even established RPers go off the deep end. Just don't wanna have to deal with that drama.