SOE Hacked

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Xoseh
Major
SOE Hacked

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 10:30 am

I've been trying to log into SWG all morning, but to no avail. The Launcher itself wasnt going past the Sony Online Entertainment Logo. I tried everything to fix it, redownloading the launcher, resetting internet, etc. Nothing worked.

I just received a text from my friend saying that someone had hacked into SOE, but since the forums are down as well I can't confirm anything. Has anyone found a reliable source? (Not that my friend isnt reliable :P)
Last edited by Xoseh on Mon May 02, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xoseh
Major

Re: SOE Hacked?

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

I found a source :|

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=13892

(For those that cant use the link/wont load)

"" While Sony Computer Entertainment’s still hard at work attempting to restore Playstation Network after the much-talked security breach, their Online division (Sony Online Entertainment) got hacked this morning.

“We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily,” the firm said in a post over their official website.

“In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).”

This means that DC Universe Online, Free Realms, Everquest and other SOE-powered services aren’t functional. We’ll keep you posted. ""

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon May 02, 2011 10:53 am

Yeah it's pretty crazy.

I noticed when I tried logging onto the SWG forums, but it wouldn't let me.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 11:08 am

I also hope they fix it soon, but I also hope no personal information is going to be stolen (credit cards, social security numbers, etc)

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Effing SOE!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaahhh

that sucks, let me guess now our personal info has been comprimised.
Acknar/Prolevik

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm

i cant log into game either... :(
http://maintenance.station.sony.com/
Acknar/Prolevik

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 pm

As their website now says, they will be promptly e-mailing any account holders if their information has been taken, modified, etc. Basically, keep a heavy eye on the e-mail account you used to subscribe to SOE with.

If you want to take the extra step, SOE has provided three seperate Credit Fraud Protection companies on the link above in Acknar's post. That would greatly decrease your risk of having your credit score ruined or money stolen from your checking accounts.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:51 pm

I can't believe they were using an outdated security system. How dumb can you be? They can obviously afford something more secure, but hey.. why not save a buck at the expense of the customers?

GG SOE! Lol.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:55 pm

I can't wait to see our compensation for this one. A month of double everything possibly? One billion credits to all players? (one can dream, lol). Free subscription time? Oh, the possiblities are endless (not really..)

Who knows? Maybe they'll open up all exisiting accounts access to a third character like the Elder Jedi Accounts have. Shhhh all you Elder Jedi's reading this, it's just a joke. >.>

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Re: SOE Hacked

Post by Mr.Avatar » Mon May 02, 2011 6:53 pm

they will probably comp game time.
Acknar/Prolevik

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

Our ongoing investigation of illegal intrusions into Sony Online Entertainment systems has discovered that hackers may have obtained personal customer information from SOE systems. We are today advising you that the personal information you provided us in connection with your SOE account may have been stolen in a cyber-attack. Stolen information includes, to the extent you provided it to us, the following: name, address (city, state, zip, country), email address, gender, birthdate, phone number, login name and hashed password.

Customers outside the United States should be advised that we further discovered evidence that information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may have also been obtained. We will be notifying each of those customers promptly.

There is no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised. It is in a completely separate and secured environment.

We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber-attacks on the company, but on May 1st we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the attack and as a result, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off all SOE game services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When SOE's services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your Station or SOE game account name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:

U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a "fraud alert" on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We are committed to helping our customers protect their personal data and we will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in regions in which such programs are commonly utilized.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1 (866) 436-6698 should you have any additional questions.
Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment LLC
Acknar/Prolevik

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

It's terrible they didn't have a more worthwhile security system. This is supposed to be a major company.

Fortunately, I believe the affect this will have on SWG is negligible, but this is no doubt another thorn in the side of SOE, who has just recently underwent considerable layoffs.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Mon May 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Yeah, I too believe this wont heavily affect SWG. Although, we'll probably hear complaining about it for a couple days from some of the people who have nothing better to do.

I'm extreamely bored. :(

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 pm

I read that and called the number they gave to call. I was concerned that my account might have been deactivated or something. I would say this is a huge goof for SOE and hopefully like Xoseh said, we all can get a decent compenstaion for this.

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I want an additional bunker, a Rancor and 7 naked twi'lek females
Acknar/Prolevik