SOE Hacked

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Mr.Avatar
Corporal
Re: SOE Hacked

Post by Mr.Avatar » Tue May 10, 2011 12:50 pm

At certain Points, there were other "it" servers, Bria had its hayday way back during CU, before NGE, had a small rebound, but eventualy inploded, then Bloodfin had a good little run, now its SS.

And Lucas Arts is perhaps equaly if not more to blame for CU/NGE than SOE, LA controlls the content, and the liecnse, so SOE cant make the game a certain way without LA saying yes, and the NGE was cooked up in Austin TX, thats where LA development studios are.

The onlything that will kill SWG is a better SW game. there is no bigger franchise than Star Wars, sadly no one has been able to make a game where it should be the best, WoW has very little in way of story and fanfaire yet has blown the top out of any ones expectations, yet a liecense on SW should do so much better as it has always enjoyed a large fan following, Look at SW Battlefront, was originaly a mod for Battlefield 1942, and then became its own game, twice. yet SWG modeled after WoW, the most successful mmo ever, sufferes more than it ever did. Psycologists and Philosophers might have to toil with this issue for thousands of years...
Acknar/Prolevik

Ramd
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ramd » Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm

What's up everybody? I know I sort of left suddenly way back when, but I decided I'd poke around the forums and see what was up. Crazy about SOE, huh? You'd have thought they'd at least buy a firewall...

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Tue May 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Ramd wrote:What's up everybody? I know I sort of left suddenly way back when, but I decided I'd poke around the forums and see what was up. Crazy about SOE, huh? You'd have thought they'd at least buy a firewall...

Hello! Welcome back :P

Yeah, it's terrible. Such a big company, and not even the smallest security precautions. They learned their lesson though, although it was learned the hard way, and I bet something like this wont happen again.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Tue May 10, 2011 8:51 pm

I have my doubts about that, SOE has done more than it's fair share to piss ppl off in the other MMO's as well. I would dare say there might be another attempt, but as to what it does and for how long will be a different story.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I think now SOE got the message and would do everything it can to prevent a third hack. A third hack would be too much for the compaby to bear.

It does seem the accusation that SOE didn't have a firewall may be false, but it would take a lot to convince me that they had solid security. Nonetheless, I would think with the long downtime, they've been updating their systems... or so I would hope. Maybe they're just on vacation.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Tue May 10, 2011 10:41 pm

LexxYovel wrote:Maybe they're just on vacation.

I would have to say that it's something, to take this long and not have it fixed and lose this much money? Yeah, I would have to agree to say they went some where, maybe vaction.

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Wed May 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Well they were hacked by some political group, and then a more malicious hack was don later on, and weeks went by before they even noticed SOE was hacked on or around the same time, so they were in a sense hacked three times in one month.
Acknar/Prolevik

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Yeah, but this shouldn't take more than a week to fix. Only other thing I can think of is that they are actually trying to fix the coding to where it's not 2 billion layers of codes that causes the game to slow. I know it takes a lot of coding to make a game like this, but at what point do you say "It's time to fix it!", after a hack like this? Is this the excuse they needed to fix it with out having to say it was broke?

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Thu May 12, 2011 9:49 am

Ahhhh, I have nothing to do on my break between classes! SWG must be revived soon!

vexer

Post by vexer » Thu May 12, 2011 12:21 pm

anyone have any ideas of wht to do while SWG is down im soooooooooo dam bored

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu May 12, 2011 12:37 pm

Me too :(

Unfortunately it's really anyone's guess.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Thu May 12, 2011 4:11 pm

I've been playing Guild Wars, Halo: Reach, and Brink.

Xboxlive peoples, my gamertag is SinfulEagleX if you want to play some games while we're waiting for SWG to come back to life. (I don't remember if my gamertag is with or without caps.. :P), however I'm currently away for today and most of tomorrow. :( sadfaces.

vexer

Post by vexer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:17 pm

ive wanted to buy brink how is it

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Sat May 14, 2011 8:41 am

It's okay. Kinda like Shadowrun, minus all the fancy magic powers. It gets very repetitive though. I'd reccomend renting it first.

Xoseh
Major

Post by Xoseh » Sat May 14, 2011 9:59 am

In case you haven't learned of the newest update from SOE:

May 12, 2011

We thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to restore our game services. We know this has been a frustrating time for you and appreciate your understanding as we work to confirm the security of our network.

In light of the recent outage of Sony Online Entertainment's game services due to April's cyber-attack, we are committed to compensating our loyal player base for the inconvenience caused by the data breach and lost game time while we improve our security measures.

We are currently in the process of an extensive upgrade to our network to further protect your information from future attacks. It will likely be at least a few more days before we restore our services, and when we come back online, here is what you can expect for each of our game services.

First and foremost, all impacted players will receive 30 days of game time added to the end of the current billing cycle in addition to one day for each day the system is down. Additionally, many games are offering a variety of in-game items and special events to welcome players back once our services resume (per the outline below). This is true for both PC and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system based products.

•DC Universe™ Online: Batman™ and Two-Face™ Inspired Masks and 30 Marks of Distinction
•Free Realms®: Free daily items (7 to collect)
•Clone Wars Adventures™: Count Dooku v2 Outfit
•EverQuest®: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Rare Mob Spawns and Double Faction Gains
•EverQuest II and EverQuest II Extended: A series of events, including Double XP, Double Guild XP, Loot Bonanza, and City Festivals
•Vanguard: Saga of Heroes®: A series of Double XP events
•Star Wars Galaxies™: Bounty Hunter Statue, a miniature model of Boba Fett's ship, the Slave I™
•Magic: The Gathering - Tactics™: Four of each of these spells: "Ivory Mask", "Duress" and "Angelheart Vial", plus 500 Station Cash
•PoxNora®: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back 5K Gold Award Tournaments and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash

For our lifetime subscribers, we'll grant in-game currency; specifically 20,000 coins for Free Realms, 7,500 Galactic Credits for Clone Wars Adventures and 10 Marks of Distinction for DC Universe Online (in addition to the items listed above).

And finally, our Station Access subscribers will receive 500 Station Cash, in addition to the subscription time and items listed above.

Additionally, we announced today that SOE will provide its U.S.-based Station Account holders with complimentary enrollment in an identity theft protection program through Debix, one of the industry's most reputable identity protection firms. For Station Account holders who live outside the U.S., SOE will be offering similar programs, if and as available, and will provide details as they're confirmed for each country or territory.

We continue to work around the clock to restore SOE's services and thank you for your continued patience as we complete our investigation of this criminal attack.

Thank you,
Sony Online Entertainment