Serious computer issues

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Leviathen
Colonel
Serious computer issues

Post by Leviathen » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:56 pm

I've been having some issues lately with my computer spontaneously restarting after startup. It was annoying, but it wasn't a big deal. The most curious thing was that it continued to persist even after I had formatted my computer for other reasons. So i concluded it was a hardware problem.

...then it started restarting A LOT more, to the point where I was beginning to destroy and corrupt things from it, or wreck school work. I looked into it, and it seemed as if it was some trouble with my RAM. Today I was tinkering around, leaving one chip in with the other two out, seeing what happened, etc. But now it wont boot at all, infact, it is not detecting the RAM at all. All it did was beep upon startup, I looked at what the beep code was, and it means no RAM detected.

So I am assuming my mother board is gone, since this occurs with all of my RAM chips, regardless of what slot they are in. I am frustrated to no end, and I do not have mine own computer anymore. I really can't afford a new computer as of now, so looks like I am not going to be able to do anything that a 6 year old comp can't handle.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:50 am

haha mines 10 years old!!!

DLela

Post by DLela » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:04 am

First thing I would try is a new PSU.

Takura

Post by Takura » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:31 pm

take ur ram to a friends house or something and see if it works in their comps.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:14 pm

Thats my plan today, to test the ram in other computers. Then, since other shit happened which makes me suspect my CPU may be a problem as well, I need to test that by switching it out with a different CPU I have. All else fails, I have some computers around that I can harvest some parts off of.

DLela wrote:First thing I would try is a new PSU.

PSU = power supply unit?

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife, doomed is your soul and damned is your life

DLela

Post by DLela » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:55 pm

Leviathen wrote:
DLela wrote:First thing I would try is a new PSU.

PSU = power supply unit?

Yes

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:22 pm

Hrm, what makes you think that it would be that?

Takura

Post by Takura » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:54 am

Its most likely your RAM, go test it in another comp and see what happens.. and lemme know what kinda cpu u have, I have a brand new mobo sitting here that I cant use cuz they dont sell cpu's for em anymore even though its not that old.

Leviathen
Colonel

Post by Leviathen » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:39 pm

my CPU is an AMD athelon 2100 XP+ I think, if I remember the name correctly. Its something to that effect, I will look it up.

Right now I found and old motherboard that I harvested and rebuilt my computer. Its a piece of shit motherboard though, much older than the one I had, and doesn't support all the RAM I had in my previous computer. I should be able to reinstall galaxies tonight though, which has be excited.

As well, I checked each RAM stick, and they were all good, I really think something went wrong with the motherboard, since the only components which I didn't transfer over were the motherboard and the PSU.