The city layout

For all things pertaining to our capital of Fort Oasis on Tatooine. NOTE: This section is defunct as of 12/15/11

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Hows Fort Oasis progressing?

I think everything is perfect, just fit in a base, wait for those two houses to go poof, and we are 100%!
60%
It's soo close, but there are some things I don't like. (Please specify!)
20%
Meh... it's acceptable.
10%
I hate it... makes me want to move.
No votes
I never really cared either way.
10%

Total votes: 10

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
The city layout

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:49 am

How does everyone think of the city layout at this time? Currently all but one small home, and one generic, are waiting to be decayed, but all in all we have all homes in neat rows. How does everyone think its going so far? The placement of banks, garage, mall, et cetera. A new guild member place a new guild hall, but due to there being little flat terrain in Fort Oasis, what do you think of its current location next to the city hall? Guild Halls are a good city treasury suppliers as well.

Also, due to some generous offers, we have enough credits to maintain the Cloner, at least for one month or so. However, that is more than enough time to get the citizens we need to be self sufficient.

Also, we are nearing getting the Forward Outpost, where should we place such a base? Also note the footprint is quite large, and the only location which may be possible for placement may be it's old location to our current knowledge.

So how does everyone think its going at the moment?

PS: Poll doesn't have an end date. Also, please vote the city as it should be as a level 3 city. For example, dont vote low for just not being a metro, or lack of a shuttle.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:41 pm

My main problem is there is too little room to expand. We do not have enough room for members to be using guildhalls as houses. From what I understand also, the guildhall was placed on a perfect spot for the base :?

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:35 pm

I'm with Fing.

Let's face it, Fort Oasis is geographically challenged. We barely have enough room for medium and large houses. But a guild hall as a house??? Come on... That spot might be a good location for the base. It is centralized and if the base was there it would bring people to the mall. Not to mention the guild hall doesn't fit in with the city plan we originally had...

bizob

Post by bizob » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:17 pm

i think were pretty much where we wanted to be. as far as members using guild halls as houses, i dont have a problem with it. maybe we could set an area of the city aside for these "mansions". of course that is if we have space. as far as the geographical challenges, there's not much we can do about it. yes it does make some buildings look a little wierd (the new place for the bank terminals for example) but the functionality is still there and that is most important. i think as time goes by and Fort Oasis grows more we will have to revisit this subject again. congrats to all who put in alot of hard work into reorganizing our fine city.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:33 pm

I respectfully have to disagree 50% with what Fingolfin and Kurke said. Currently the small house district is orderly and complete heaven compared to what we had in the begining. Medium houses are in one row, and large houses are sort of in a staggard appearance but dont neccesarily hinder the appearance of Fort Oasis. I can see where Fingolfin and Kurke are going with Kriotech's guild hall, but heres what I think will improve the overall appearance of it's location... The reason it seems weird looking right now is because its simply "there", alone and somewhat out of place. The area Kriotech's guild hall was place was a forbidden location for the small homes, since it was too rocky for small homes to be there. I think once we fill in the spaces surrounding the guild hall, perhaps by putting a Forward Outpost next to it, or maybe a garden or fountain (when we can afford one of course) near it, it will seem to fit snuggly in a little slot.

There is room near Krio's Hall to place a base, and if it doesn't fit, we can virtually 99% assume that the Outpost wouldn't fit there regardless of whther the hall was there or not. If it doesn't fit, we can put the Outpost on the other side. But in either case, I think by putting things like gardens, fountains, or small houses which serve RP purposes (Police Station, zoo, etc) next to the hall, it will increase the appearance of our city.

I would hate to ask him to move the hall, since he did a lot of decorating and all, so I think we should wait till we move in more structures in the city to fit neatly in our city, rather than its current appearance has being smack down in the middle of the city.

(Forgive me if the this post is incoherent. I am rather sleepy, and too lazy to double check... I think there are some run on sentences but oh well :P )

PS: I beat your post count Kurke :P

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:12 pm

Ok everyone! Guildhalls are perfectly A.OK to be used as houses! I'm getting mine tonight! Infact, guildhalls for the whole guild on me! We can all have guildhalls for houses! Don't bothering paying attention to where you put it - sure we won't have room for much else but thats OK!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Do you see what I'm getting at? It is not fair for members to just use a giant guildhall as a house because they can't fit all of their crap into a normal house. Fort Oasis has very little space left, and I believe it's unfair to the guild to use that little space on guildhall houses. I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but it's the truth :?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:45 am

Yes, but the truth is not *everyone* can afford a guild hall as a home. And I am sure not everyone would want to have one if they could. You also have to understand the huge sum of property these guild halls rake in. It would only help out our treasury substantionally. Besides, Kurke even spoke to me about placing a second guild hall, and why not use Kriotech's guild hall for whatever purpose he had in mind. There is a lot more room than people suspect in Fort Oasis. The only thing thats a problem in Fort Oasis is trenches. Trenches however, can be easily overcome by any structure larger than a small house.

All we got to do is wait it out. I am not entirely impressed with how the Cloner, Med Center, and Cantina are placed, but we got to deal with what we have, and use what will help our guild. Besides, Kriotech's guild hall location was not reserved for any structure due to the trenches. But since a structure as large as a guild hall can overcome these trenches, we would simply be taking all the pointless space we couldn't use in the past to our advantage. I highly doubt anything close to a guild hall neigborhood will form after one hall was placed. We aren't even close. But if you wanted to place a guild hall Fingolfin, I wouldn't deny it. There is plenty of room to the south east and north of our city. :wink:

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:38 pm

When I said to use a second guild hall, I meant to use it for a secondary guild for War Games. Having that second guild hall right next to out main guild hall is like playing capture the flag with the two bases 5 feet from each other... rather pointless. To use a guildhall for what I had planned, you have to place that secondary guild hall a good kilometer if not more away from Fort Oasis.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:42 pm

lol, okay fine, disregard that part of the message. So aaaalright guys... what do you want me to do???

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:49 pm

Lexx, a few months ago you and me started work on a new plan for Fort Oasis. We were going to reorganize it so that it looked like a real city. We came up with a layout of what we wanted the city to look like and everything. Now, however many months later, it seems like you are throwing that plan out the window. What's up Lexx??? I don't mean to sound mean with this post, but it just seems like all the time we spent working on the new city layout is getting replaced because we are too concerned with getting new citizens for the city...

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:07 pm

Guys guys, relax. Think for a moment, it is one pathetic guild hall. We have all the small homes in rows and mediums and larges in a decent appearance, and we are going over pieces about a guild hall. Trust me, one guild hall in no way is going to tear our city apart. It's not like my intentions were, hey, lets put a guild hall here to make members mad, tee hee hee.

And guys, you aren't answering my questions. Instead of trashing every decision I make, ***tell me what I should do***. None of you answered that.

And also Kurke, what does this have to do with getting more citizens??? Kriotech is a guild member who simply requested to place a guild hall. I said alright, lets find a place for it. It's not like I was rushing to find citizens, there is no point now since we have more than 500k in the treasury.

So answer my question, what should we do?

-Have me ask Krio to remove it, losing tons of money from property tax
-Have him move it to another location withen the city...

What? Or are you going to write another post on how stupid my decision was? Tell me what we should do in a constructive manner than panicking over *one* strcuture. If I had know every tiny decision I make leads to unrest, I would creat a department of garden placement. I laugh when I hear about other poor guild leaders, who recieve complaints that a garden is hindering a members "back yard."

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:21 pm

And guys, you aren't answering my questions. Instead of trashing every decision I make, ***tell me what I should do***. None of you answered that.

It is obvious that I think it should be removed heh

Tell me what we should do in a constructive manner than panicking over *one* strcuture.

Sorry, but if you say that *one* structure is ok, you are setting precedent that it is ok to use guildhalls as houses. That *one* structure could turn into more since if it's ok for Kriotech it must be ok for everyone else. And as to the argument that everyone can't afford it: That just proves our recruiting methods are flawed; we are recruiting every single nooby that comes our way- I think we need to make it clear to some of our lower members that being an imperial isn't the only qualification to get into RID :? If we actually recruited some members with experience, many people would be able to afford guildhalls.

Or are you going to write another post on how stupid my decision was?

I'm not trying to be rude, so don't take this the wrong way. We arn't just bashing you, we are telling you what we think lol :wink: .

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:03 pm

Well I dont quite see how credit accounts and experienced players have any link. Frankly, I think we have been recruiting more experienced members than before.

And it's not like all these members are gonna go, wowzers, look he has a guild hall, I want one too. It's not going to be a string of members wanting to place guild halls. If you guys want to remove it, keep Kriotech on your friends list and contact him. I am too busy getting FP for the base :wink:

But seriously guys, I want to hear everyone else on this topic... I mean come on, it's not like that guild hall is that bad looking. It doesn't interfere with any of the build zones, and like I said before, if we fill in the gaps near the guild hall, it will look much better.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:04 pm

Let me swap up a map of our city.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:49 pm

I think we have been recruiting more experienced members than before.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What were we recruiting before? people who don't have the game yet? honestly .... most of our new recruits arnt past their nooby professions...