About enhancing our city (Please Read!)

For all things pertaining to our capital of Fort Oasis on Tatooine. NOTE: This section is defunct as of 12/15/11

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
About enhancing our city (Please Read!)

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:19 pm

Hello RID,

We have had a lot of protests about our city. People want it reorganized. People want it moved. People want it to be the best city on the server, and I sure want that too!

However, before we begin, we just wont move it, period. It wont happen. Reasons are this...

-We cant re-deed the City Hall.

-To move the city you would need to buy a new City Hall for 300K. RID architects may make one for free, but keep reading.

-I dont want to start over as an Outpost again.

-I dont want to move the city. The entire point was so that its near our home, the Imperial Oasis.

-Between that period of time of removing the city, and placing the new one, it is possible somone else could place another city in that period causing the cities to cap.

-The city cap on the planet is 20 altogether. Do we *really* want to risk bringing it back to 19 and have the risk of another guild placing a city there? And another thing, our city is level 3. Only 15 cities on the planet are allowed to be level 3. We are *very* lucky to get where we are now.

Now the above is why we wont move the city. We wont no matter what. Its near impossible and *extremely* inconvenient. Somone even said why dont I be mayor of the new city we place while we extract citizens over from our old city to the new one. Even if there were a enough city slots on the planet, here is why we wouldnt do this. First of all, we need 10 citizens in 24 hours.

I dont want to re-enact the horrors of doing that again. It was very difficult and panic filled for me to place Fort Oasis in the first place. Re-electing me as mayor in "new" city so to speak would also prove very difficult. The voting system can be very difficult to use.

Now I can tell you one thing we can do. We can re-organize the city. All we need are these things.

1.) Patience- Reorganizing a city is night a one night thing. We need a lot of people online to ask them to move their homes. Besides, I am in the process of getting new memers to fill in gaps. Once that is done, rows will appear.

2.) Everyones support- I know people look at those super-guilds cities and say, wow, I wish our city was like that. We wont get anywhere just dreaming, we need to act. We cant magically move peoples property, so if I ask you to move your house its for the better. Read below.

3.) We need everyone to follow instructions- I cant move peoples houses. I cant destroy peoples houses. If an inactive character has a house in the city thats out of place, all we can do is wait for it to decay. If I ask you to move your house, its really important that you try your best to do so. Also, follow placement intructions!

These three things are very important. I dont want our city to be a jumbled mess. I am creating a map of what our city looks like now, and what I want my city to look like. Another thing that inconveniences our organization process are the trenches in the city. Somtimes we can place over them, but a lot of the time it hinders placement.

Now I want everyone to stay calm, and just wait. At the birth of the city, I held a meeting with RID for city organization, yet no one really thought of it. Now that it seems to worry people, I will do all I can to make the city nice. Its just not easy to reorganize an entire city though.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:04 pm

Don't worry Lexx, this is something we don't want to rush. Indeed, it will take time and planning. And, should we choose to go forward with reorganizing the city, we need an effective game plan for doing it. Also, when we were talking about it in-game, we were just passing around possible ideas. And as you have pointed out, many of them are not feasible.

Now, I have yet to see your future plans for what you want the city to look like, but I would like to make some suggestions. While we are currently located in a very nice location, there are some limiting factors about where we are at. Most of these factors are geography oriented. The biggest one is that the city itself is surrounded by hills on three sides (nroth, west, and south). So, future expansion of the city can really only expand outward in one direction, toward the east. The other factor is what I like to call the "war trench". It is that big trench that runs through the city at various angles. Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do about these two things.

But, there are things we can do. If we are to reorganize the houses into straight lines or blocks or something like that, we need a gameplan. We need to come up with ideas for a new layout and then finalize a layout. We then need to coordinate with players to set up times for moving houses. I think the best way for doing this would be to take like 4 or 5 houses at a time and moving them into position. It is always easier to work with a smaller group of players than a large one. We should also locate the mall and any other shops near each other creating a shopping center of sorts (it adds to the atmosphere).

This also has to be something a large majority of the city wants to do. If there are only a couple of us that is interested in this, then going forward with this is not logical and is a waste of our time. This is also something that should take place down the road, in a time when the guild is free of conflict. Of course, there are things we can do now to prepare for the future. Any new citizens can line up their houses according to a determined plan, that way, only older citizens will have to move their houses.

Here is an idea I have for a possible city layout. This is just my idea to present at the moment. Let me know what you think.

Code: Select all

________        __
         |      |       /  \           ___=__  ___=__  ___=__  _=______  _=______
         |CLONE |      {bank}          | SH |  | SH |  | SH |  |  MH  |  |  MH  |
         |      ]       \__/           |____|  |____|  |____|  |______|  |______|
         |______|                             
         ________       ____           ______  ______  ______  ________  ________
         |      |       |  |           | SH |  | SH |  | SH |  |  MH  |  |  MH  |
         | MED  ]       |PG|           |_=__|  |_=__|  |_=__|  |____=_|  |____=_|
         |______|       |__|
          ______                       ___=__  ___=__  ___=__  _=______  _=______
         |  C   |                      | SH |  | SH |  | SH |  |  MH  |  |  MH  |
         |  N   | *             *      |____|  |____|  |____|  |______|  |______|
         |  T   ]
         |  A   |                      ______  ______  ______  ________  ________
         |______|    __________        | SH |  | SH |  | SH |  |  MH  |  |  MH  |
                   __|        |__      |_=__|  |_=__|  |_=__|  |____=_|  |____=_|
                   |            |
                   | City Hall  |      ___=__  ___=__  ___=__  _=______  _=______
                   |            |      | SH |  | SH |  | SH |  |  MH  |  |  MH  |
                   |____________|      |____|  |____|  |____|  |______|  |______|

I am still trying to decide where to put large houses. But, this is just a possible idea. Again, let me know what you think.

Your friendly architect,
Kurke Aumea[/code]

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Nice to see your pretty knowing on this subject :D
I always like your ideas though. It got us throught the division system :)
The layout you have is pretty nice. I have a program that I have access to that allows me to place down structures like a puzzle. I will show you the plan I have in mind. I like how you call those ravines war trences lol.

I saw your plan, and a lot of it is similar to what I want. I want commercial centers west, which included the med center, cloner, etc. And I want the small houses east. So far the problem with the small houses is that they are all facing north more or less. Some are in vague rows. I am going to take a current image of our city and see what we should leave.

The garage and bank can remain. I got them as centered as possible to the city. I will have to check if the guild hall can move facing south against the city hall. I noticed in-game an inclination is there, but it might be feasable. I suggest we work with the small houses first. I think medium houses and large houses can work somwhat behind the city hall.

Another thing I want to impliment is city sections. I want to include the following:

Lower Residential- The small house section.

Middle Residential- The medium house section.

Higher Residential- The large house section.

Military Centers- Includes any type of bases if we get any. Perhaps could blend with the industrial centers.

Industrial Centers- Include a line up of factory machines. If we get any military centers up and running we could locate them near those. Also support commerce centers.

Commerce Centers- Includes malls, and merchant tents. May be located near entertainment and medical centers.

Entertainment Centers- Includes theaters, cantinas, and player house taverns. Can be located near medical and commerce centers.

Medical Centers- Includes med centers, cloners, and player house med centers. Can be located near entertainment and commerce centers.

Political Centers- Included City Hall, and recruitment guild halls. Near the main center of town.

Public Centers- The main plaza of town. Which includes trainers, banks, garages, and gardens if any.

Once I make the map, things might be cleard up. Later I would like to sort out where there is a no build zone or not. As for all the indsutrial and military stuff, which can tend to be an eye sore for some people. We might place those towards the west near the mountains. There is just enough room there.

Also, if we ever get the rank of Metropolis, our city can almost extend to the edge of the NPC Imperial Oasis. Which is pretty cool.

I think the first step should be small houses. Everyone who has a house, I normally see online. Inactives normally have their homes decayed.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:30 am

Lexx i have some statues for the town that might make the town look nicer.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:32 am

Statues would like awsome. But there is only one thing that worries me. Each statue adds 1-3k of credits to the maintenance. And our city is already 160k a week. But keep those statues around Iwooko :)

Eventually I plan to remove lamps. They dont do anything and waste tons of money. We may add two statues and one garden to make things look nice. Having too many decorations would divert the city from other costly things like mission terminals and trainers.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:00 pm

Alright i will keep them around

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:05 pm

Okie :)

Erougn
Captain

Post by Erougn » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't see the Navy hq there..are we going underground?

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:56 pm

Heheh, old map old post :P

I am thinking of posting an updated map soon by the way.

Waucod Meesman
Village Idiot

Post by Waucod Meesman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:30 pm

just like the guilkd roster is gonna be updated soon... lol jk Lexx we all know how busy lif eis even Waucod and he's in 8th grade...