Tips and Tricks

A place for members to share useful information with one another.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II
Tips and Tricks

Post by Monthigos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 pm

So I thought it might be useful to post a thread with tips and tricks regarding SWTOR that people may or may not know. Feel free to add any tip you might have, even if you think it is pointless. I'll go first.

Combat
  • If you a see a circle appear below your feet, that means you are about to be hit with an AOE attack. Move out of the way quickly!
  • Having trouble outdamaging a healer NPC? Use your abilities that interrupt when they are healing. You can see their healing activation bar near their head.

Companions
  • Each companion has a codex entry which will explain their likes and dislikes.
  • You don't get awarded morality points or companion affection until you complete the mission you are on.
  • Towards the end of Taris, and through Quesh, you may notice that your companion is not gaining any affection. This is normal.
  • Your companion gains new skills with levels, but sometimes forgets to use them. You have to enable them manually. Remember to check once every couple levels if there's something new.
  • If you dismiss your companion and then bring them back out, they will be at full health.
Cutscenes / Conversation
  • Escaping from a conversation before it's done allows you to redo choices (in case your companion disapproves).
  • You can skip a portion of the conversation (or any cutscene) by pressing the spacebar.

User Interface
  • Most UI issues can be solved by hitting Ctrl-U twice.
  • Searching the /who window by 'lfg' will show everybody in the game utilizing the system.
  • You can click on stairwells/entranceways on the map to browse through them.

Items
  • If you remove a modification from an 'orange' item, it will bind the item and the modification to your character.
  • Blues and higher are bind on pickup (BUP) in flashpoints. Make sure to read the item description carefully before pressing need!
  • Press SHIFT when clicking on an item to link it in chat.
  • Press CTRL when click on an item to see a preview of it on yourself (or your companion). Does not work on weapons.

Crafting
  • You don't need to keep your crafting materials in your inventory to craft. You can have them in ship storage.
  • You can learn a profession before level 10, by taking the shuttle to the fleet. You can not do crew skill missions without a companion, but you can gather straight from level 1.

Galactic Trade Network
  • You will get your deposit back if an item doesn't sell, however if you cancel your listing you forfeit your deposit.
  • There is a neutral GTN on Nar Shaddaa if you can't find the item you need.

Travel
  • You can but fleet passes from the security vendor for 1000cr. These are on a one hour cooldown and take you back to fleet.
  • You also have an 'emergency fleet pass' ability, but the cooldown is much, much longer. (18 hours, I think)
Last edited by Monthigos on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:52 am, edited 13 times in total.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Re: Tips and Tricks

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 pm

Good tips. If people most more I can make a sticky of these.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 am

This thread probably belongs in the Debriefing Room, now that I think about it.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:39 am

Ah true, moving it now ;)