Official Banner Workshop

A place for members to discuss general information about RID.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II
Re: Official Banner Workshop

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 am

You could easily do that with an animated gif, provide your are not using an image that uses more than 256 colors otherwise it will look really bad. Here's some really amazing animated gifs:

http://helablog.com/2011/04/stunning-co ... ated-gifs/

I think the trick is to make the transition image the same color scheme as the original image and it will reduce the amount of dithering (which makes the image look really grainy). Lexx your sig probably doesn't even use 256 colors because it's red and mostly grey.

The second method is flash...this might be the easiest way if you can find a generator on the internet that will transition between two images. You would just need to make sure flash is allowed in the signature. I don't really mess with flash and prefer not to use it...I think people only use flash for web games anymore.

The last method would be to include the jQuery library and then write a 'hook' for transitioning images, but this might slow down browsers if everyone is doing it and it's a bit technical but not difficult. I wrote a script like this for my website. You could even put it so it has the names of all your characters and it would fade the image to a picture of your character. Now that would be a cool script to write. I would be curious to see if I could implement characters and character images in the board and then attach them to the account...then make it automatically generate a rid signature. :)

I'm sure there are other methods but those were the three I could think of off the top of my head.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm having some weird double click issue with my mouse and some how managed to double post. :X

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:44 pm

Haha no problem. Deleted the doubles.

Thanks for the logo! I thought I had it saved somewhere, but couldn't find it.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Monthigos wrote:You could easily do that with an animated gif, provide your are not using an image that uses more than 256 colors otherwise it will look really bad. Here's some really amazing animated gifs:

http://helablog.com/2011/04/stunning-co ... ated-gifs/

I think the trick is to make the transition image the same color scheme as the original image and it will reduce the amount of dithering (which makes the image look really grainy). Lexx your sig probably doesn't even use 256 colors because it's red and mostly grey.

The second method is flash...this might be the easiest way if you can find a generator on the internet that will transition between two images. You would just need to make sure flash is allowed in the signature. I don't really mess with flash and prefer not to use it...I think people only use flash for web games anymore.

The last method would be to include the jQuery library and then write a 'hook' for transitioning images, but this might slow down browsers if everyone is doing it and it's a bit technical but not difficult. I wrote a script like this for my website. You could even put it so it has the names of all your characters and it would fade the image to a picture of your character. Now that would be a cool script to write. I would be curious to see if I could implement characters and character images in the board and then attach them to the account...then make it automatically generate a rid signature. :)

I'm sure there are other methods but those were the three I could think of off the top of my head.

Well Monthris, if I give you a screen shot of my toon from SWTOR, can you do this for my sig?

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:16 pm

With your current sig? I could try doing something with an animated gif.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 am

That would be cool, I really appreciate it if you did this for me.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:46 am

I could also make you a Star Warsy collage with Boba Fett and your character in one sig, similar to what you have already if you want to go that route. In either case, send me a pic of your character in your preferred lighting / setting.

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:47 am

I think there is an issue with quick posting that takes me to another screen where I essentially end up posting twice. :(

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:51 am

Oh and Lexx, I see you have a black box around your sith logo. He's a version with a transparent background. :) Perfect 100 x 100 size.
Attachments
Empire.png
Empire.png (16.26KiB)Viewed 1622 times

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:43 am

Oh cool, thanks!

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm

Monthigos wrote:I could also make you a Star Warsy collage with Boba Fett and your character in one sig, similar to what you have already if you want to go that route. In either case, send me a pic of your character in your preferred lighting / setting.

How do I get an image of myself from the game? Like in SWG I would just turn off the camera chase, how do I do that in SWTOR?

Monthigos
Warrant Officer II

Post by Monthigos » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:44 pm

ALT-Z to hide the interface and Print Screen to take the shot. Hold down the left mouse button to pan around your character and middle mouse to zoom in.

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Thank you, will send you a shot of my toon here soon. I will be out of town for the weekend, I have drill so you won't see me in game much after tonight. I will keep an eye out on the forums though if you need to contact me.

Santos
Colonel

Post by Santos » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 pm

If anybody wants a bust made of their character from SWG or TOR (no helmets or hats allowed) let me know and provide 3 screenshots (front view, side view, and a perspective or angled view)! I'm learning ZBrush so it's good practice, and if you want more than an image I can actually send you a filetype that would let you get these 3D printed into a real bust you can keep in your room or wherever!