*IMPORTANT* PLEASE READ.

A place for members to speak about almost anything, at a reasonable level.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Xoseh
Major
*IMPORTANT* PLEASE READ.

Post by Xoseh » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello RID.

I do not know if any of you know of this yet, but unfortunately, Mepps announced that SOE and LucasArts decided to shutdown Star Wars Galaxies on December 15th, 2011.

(Begin Quote)

Dear Star Wars Galaxies™ Community Member,

We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.

We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.

In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.

Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.

Sincerely,

Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts

(End Quote)

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/post ... id=1220357

The above link is the post made by Mepps on the offical SWG forums.

Guys, RID gave me literally the best times I could have ever asked for in Star Wars Galaxies. It was a pleasure to meet you all and fight the rebellion by your side. Hopefully, I will be seeing most of you in TOR. Hopefully, this forum will still be kept open.

I LOVE YOU ALL!

Xoseh

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Re: *IMPORTANT* PLEASE READ.

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 pm

I heard... it's sad news. I will make an official announcement to all of RID on these forums and in-game when I get the chance.

The most we can do now is make the most of the time we have left, and plan for RID's 8 year anniversary.

It was an honor having known all of you during our time in SWG. Certainly don't regret any bit of it.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

I was rather shocked to read this today... Most of my best memories in gaming come from RID and SWG. Regardless of what the critics and many jilted players may say, SWG was an awesome and fun game in its own right. It wasn't perfrect and the developers didn't do it any favors over the years, but it was something special and unique for everyone. I can safely say that it is probably my most played game of all time. I will most definitely miss SWG...

:cry:

I do not know what RID's plans are for SWTOR, but I truly hope RID will continue on. It is an awesome guild and will always be my one true home! If RID or any of its members go on to play SWTOR, you guys will be welcome friends to the guild I am in for SWTOR (TGS - The Galactic Syndicate). I hope to see many of you in-game!!!

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:46 pm

It's hard to say whether or not RID will exist in SWTOR. If it does, I'm not sure I will be it's leader.

Impossible the see, the future is -- but I suspect my time will only be more limited, and I simply won't have the energy to lead a guild as I did when I founded RID as a little 13 year old :lol:

But we shall see.

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Our little Lexx is all grown up!!!

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Well this news bites, I haven't always been in RID, but this has been the only MMO I truely played. I have tried others and it's all Bleh to me. I have not tried DC online, but that's not SW or anything like it. I just hope that Blizzard and LA keeps the promise up about the hype they are making SWTOR to be and what they are promising it will be. I will be going there as soon as I can now that I know SWG won't be around.

For the US citizens that are in guild, I am proud to serve you guys in the Army and now Army Rerserves. I hope to keep seeing you guys here and maybe else where.

For the European brothers and sisters, thanks for the fun it's been while it's lasted. I haven't had the honor to serve in Germany or England to get to visit all the countries there. Hope that I get to one day.

To those who are in other lands it's been real fun to have met you even though I didn't realize who you are, thanks.

vilem72

Post by vilem72 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:03 am

Sad news indeed. But this will probably increase the population on the SWGEmu servers (Pre-CU) and push the project. The servers are already quite frequented. I'll give it a try on Liberator.

Daiho
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Daiho » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:03 am

vilem72 wrote:Sad news indeed. But this will probably increase the population on the SWGEmu servers (Pre-CU) and push the project. The servers are already quite frequented. I'll give it a try on Liberator.

I've installed it and I was so disoriented lolll

Wow there's nothing else to say. I NEVER tought this day will come. I remember when I land on Mos Eisley on September 2004 with my fishy medic. My best gaming day of my life. Then I meet Lexx and he gets me in RID. I would say it's the 2nd best gaming day of my life because it allowed me to meet great people and had funny gaming hours. Thanks everyone who remember me and I won't forget any of those I met.

My project for SWTOR: I registered to SinisteR (SR) because UI knew that Lexx won't lead RID in this game so we can all join former RID Bovive and Arramen who are leading this guild. Can wait to see any of you in this new game. My toon name will be: Daiho :)

Osar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Osar » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Well it will be good to see your fish face again friend, lol. I will say it was the most disappointing day of my life, NOT TRAGIC, but disappointing day. I just hope that SWTOR can be half as good as SWG pre-nge was. I don't think I will be joining SinisteR though, I am looking to forget SWG. I really hate the reminising of old times.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I am pretty fucking pissed about this.

Couldn't they at least make it free to play, Why did they waste all of last year making the game better to just throw it in the fucking trash can at the end?

I'll probably be back from OSUT by the time TOR comes out.
Apathy is Death.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I agree, if they were willing to just shut down SWG, they could have just as well made it free-to-play with limited development. At this point, most players probably wouldn't mind. Many just want to use SWG as an environment to talk to their friends and decorate homes, and the other little things. It's just a nice little world to get lost in once in a while.

I think Smedley was just tired of people bringing up the NGE, and always just saw SWG as a thorn on his side. He was probably happy to get rid of it at the first opportunity. I mean Everquest has been running for what? 11 years now? And they get tons of expansions. And they still have Ultima Online running. Don't even get me started on Vanguard. They have what, 3 people playing? lol

Maybe with enough press they'd be willing to reverse their decision, but I *extremely* doubt it.

Fortunately, no matter what happens, I've sort of accepted it at this point.

Mr.Avatar
Corporal

Post by Mr.Avatar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 pm

Osar wrote: I just hope that Blizzard and LA keeps the promise up about the hype they are making SWTOR to be and what they are promising it will be

BIOWARE!!! not blizzard ya jack wagon,
Acknar/Prolevik

Kurke_Aumea
Colonel

Post by Kurke_Aumea » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

LexxYovel wrote:I agree, if they were willing to just shut down SWG, they could have just as well made it free-to-play with limited development. At this point, most players probably wouldn't mind. Many just want to use SWG as an environment to talk to their friends and decorate homes, and the other little things. It's just a nice little world to get lost in once in a while.

I think Smedley was just tired of people bringing up the NGE, and always just saw SWG as a thorn on his side. He was probably happy to get rid of it at the first opportunity. I mean Everquest has been running for what? 11 years now? And they get tons of expansions. And they still have Ultima Online running. Don't even get me started on Vanguard. They have what, 3 people playing? lol

Maybe with enough press they'd be willing to reverse their decision, but I *extremely* doubt it.

Fortunately, no matter what happens, I've sort of accepted it at this point.

I heard form somewhere that SOE's license was up for Star Wars at the end of 2011, so shutting SWG down was a business move more than anything else.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 am

After pondering everything more, that's all it really seems to be.

I suppose SOE would have been more than happy to continue SWG, even if it remained only marginally profitable. But I bet the license renewal was simply to costly. Or maybe Lucasarts even pressured SOE to simply not bother renewing the subscription. I'm sure the fact that Smedley said it was "mutual" was only a PR move, there may have been some disagreements between Lucasarts and SOE.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:45 pm

tor will be worth it but i'll really miss my fun times with u all playing SWG. :(
Apathy is Death.