SWTOR free to play?

A place for members to discuss anything pertaining to MMORPG development.

Moderator:Lexx Yovel

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor
SWTOR free to play?

Post by Lexx Yovel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 pm

So it seems SWTOR will be free to play starting in November. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Fishy
Staff Corporal

Re: SWTOR free to play?

Post by Fishy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 am

I'm just going to hang off on re-subbing, but I'll be back for F2P. It seems like it's a pretty good F2P deal - Play the way to 50 with the entire class story, and then just get the other stuff as you need it. Looks very similar to Lord of the Rings Online's system of doing Deeds / Achievements to get points to buy the next content packs.

Lexx Yovel
RID Leader/Mayor

Post by Lexx Yovel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:52 pm

I'm personally impartial about it. But it does seem that if they're giving this F2P option, their subscription numbers aren't as good as they originally intended.

Then the issue becomes if they'll be able to generate enough revenue to push out new content in a F2P system.

Well, we'll see how it turns out. At least populations will be higher.

Fishy
Staff Corporal

Post by Fishy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:04 pm

I think they'll turn enough revenue. I heard somewhere that 500k subs was all they needed to keep the servers operational and continue, and the latest report is just under 1M subs, so I think they'll continue.

Saurat Seerdon
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Saurat Seerdon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:08 pm

i wish swg did that. almost completing swtor on my agent. well the act 3 or whatever, hit level 50. it's not the same. sniper plays alot like bh did in swg, but it's not as fun being able to run around everywhere it really lacks the community feel that swg had. then you get the spatial chat people bitching about it not being wow. i hate that.
Apathy is Death.